The Samsung Galaxy A24 is probably the most affordable Samsung phone that makes sense getting. Unlike the A10 and A00 series, the Galaxy A20 lineup has produced some solid offers throughout the years, and the new A24 4G is shaping up as yet another one of those.
If you are looking for an affordable phone with a fluid screen, good cameras, long-lasting battery life and an eye-catchy design – well, this is exactly what the Galaxy A24 offers. It sure isn’t a fast phone, let alone gaming-friendly, but it looks like it could handle everything else very well.
Let’s start with the design. It’s a traditional flat shape with two glossy panels and a matte frame. The 6.5-inch screen uses a 1080p Super AMOLED panel with a 90Hz refresh rate, which is a nice treat for this price bracket.
And speaking of nice treats, the camera department surely looks great, too. There is a 50MP OIS primary on the back, assisted by a 5MP ultrawide and 2MP macro cams. There is a 13MP selfie shooter, too.
The Helio G99 chipset is nothing to brag about, really, but it has two fast CPU cores, so it should at least handle your usual Android apps well. We do appreciate the 5,000mAh battery, though, and we expect it to shine in combination with that chipset.
Finally, the Galaxy A24 runs on Android 13 with the latest One UI 5.1. And it’s the full-fledged experience and not one of those “Core” implementations.
Samsung Galaxy A24 4G specs at a glance:
- Body: 162.1×77.6×8.3mm, 195g; Glass front, plastic frame, plastic back.
- Display: 6.50″ Super AMOLED, 90Hz, 1000 nits (peak), 1080x2340px resolution, 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 396ppi.
- Chipset: Mediatek MT8781 Helio G99 (6nm): Octa-core (2×2.2 GHz Cortex-A76 & 6×2.0 GHz Cortex-A55); Mali-G57 MC2.
- Memory: 128GB 4GB RAM, 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 13, One UI 5.1.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 50 MP, f/1.8, PDAF, OIS; Ultra wide angle: 5 MP, f/2.2, 123˚, 1/5″, 1.12µm; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 13 MP, f/2.2, (wide).
- Video capture: Rear camera: 1080p@30fps; Front camera: 1080p@30fps.
- Battery: 5000mAh; 25W wired.
- Connectivity: LTE; Dual SIM; Wi-Fi 5; BT 5.3; NFC; 3.5mm jack.
- Misc: Fingerprint reader (side-mounted); Virtual proximity sensing.
The Galaxy A24 4G is not a waterproof smartphone, a premium feature reserved for the Galaxy A3x models and up. There is no 5G support and no stereo speakers, but at that price, it was to be expected. At least we get nice options like a microSD expansion and a 3.5mm jack.
The Galaxy A24’s most notable upgrades over the Galaxy A23 4G are the switch to a Super AMOLED panel and the doubled base storage. And we do appreciate both.
Unboxing the Samsung Galaxy A24 4G
The Samsung Galaxy A24 is packed into a thin paper box. The retail bundle contains the phone, a white USB-C cable, and a SIM ejection pin.
The Galaxy A24 supports up to 25W fast charging, but you will need to shop for a power adapter if you don’t own one already.